A soft cover Pitkin's Pictorial Guide to Hampton Court Palace 1988. This popular out of print 24 page guide book of Hampton Court Palace was for years the standard pictorial guide for all visitors to the Palace.
HAMPTON COURT PALACE GUIDE BOOK
The idea of this new translation was first mooted by ]ohn Rainolds or Reynolds (1549-1607), President of Corpus Christi College, Oxford, the Puritan leader at the Hampton Court Conference, Jan. 1604. The King took up the proposal warmly, and its achievement was due to his royal interest and influence. The preliminary work was accomplished in about four years. We need not construe literally "the twise seuen times seuentie two dayes and more - roughly two years and nine months" - of the preface to the Bible. The translators, who numbered about fifty, were divided into six companies, each company being responsible for a certain section of the Scriptures. Two companies met at Westminster, two at Cambridge, and two at Oxford; and at these centres the directors of the work were Lancelot Andrewes (1555-1626), then Dean of Westminster, Edward Lively (1545?-1605), Regius Professor of Hebrew at Cambridge, and ]ohn Harding, Regius Professor of Hebrew at Oxford (1591-8 and 1604-10). The results of their several labours were subjected to mutual criticism, and then underwent nine months’ iinal revision by a representative committee of six members, sitting in London. The editors who passed the book through the press were Miles Smith, afterwards Bishop of Gloucester (d. 1624), and Thomas Bilson (1547-1616), Bishop of Winchester. The latter, perhaps, composed the headings to the chapters. To the former is ascribed the noble preface entitled The Translators to the Reader. The translators were directed to take the rendering of the Bishops’ Bible as their basis, and were advised also to consult the following versions: Tyndale’s, Matthew’s, Coverdale’s, Whitchurch’s (i.e. the Great Bible), and the Geneva. The last exerted very considerable influence on their work; and next to it the Rheims New Testament (1582) - though not mentioned - contributed appreciably to the changes introduced. (The Douay Old Testament  appeared too late to be used.) It is recognised that this Bible, like all the great English versions from 1537 down to 1885, was built on the sure foundations laid for all time by William Tyndale and Miles Coverdale. Besides the Hebrew and Greek originals, reference was made to Tremellius and ]unius, Beza, and earlier Latin versions, including Plantin’s Polyglot edition edited by Benedictus Arias Montanus, and also to the vernacular translations of Spain, France, and Italy. According to Westcott (p. 279), the revision of the New Testament was a simpler work than that of the Old, and may be generally described as a careful correction of the Bishops’ version by the Greek text, with the aid of Beza’s, the Geneva, and the Rheims versions. HERBERT CAT. 1968 page 130-131.
THIS ITEM MAY BE RETUNRED WIYHIN 14 DAYS OF RECEIPT FOR A FULL REFUND